With the holidays coming upon us very quickly, I’ve been in the mood to get crafty. While I’m not sure that everyone else gets this same urge, cutting, gluing and making pretty things tends to be fun! Right now also happens to be the end of the Fall Term at my school. There are thousands of comments to write, essays to grade, and my students seem to feel as cranky as I do these days, which has me feeling a little crazed. So, crafting also serves as catharsis.
So, feeling as I did (and do), I made a plan earlier this week to do something fun that both required colorful construction paper and celebrated the time of year. Somehow, I got it in my head that it would be fun to make turkeys. Yes, turkeys. I am going to be giving “Thank You” gifts to some of my colleagues later this week, and I thought that turkeys could serve as cards! As usual, I went to Pinterest and found a variety of images like this, this, and this for inspiration.
Given the jam-packed week I was having, I didn’t want to do anything too time-consuming though, and I quickly realized cutting out individual feathers was just that…time-consuming. After some serious thought, I realized the answer was right at my fingertips — TECHNOLOGY.
Now, if I haven’t mentioned already, technology is not my best friend. However, our school recently purchased a laser-cutter, better known as this scary looking thing below.
Despite its intimidating exterior, boy, can this baby do wonders! In a matter of minutes (literally, because I had to teach the next period), I had over 100 perfectly-cut feathers at my disposal.
Armed with my feathers, I began to prepare the other pieces of my turkeys when I got home. First, I traced a template onto a piece of brown construction paper that I had folded in fours. The folding not only saved me time, but also ensured that the bodies would all be relatively the same size. Then, I dotted the bodies with a thin, black marker to create eyes and cut out small yellow triangles to serve as beaks. Finally, I was ready for assembly!
I arranged my “feathers” to ensure that I created a nice even pattern…
…and got to gluing! Unfortunately, my end product didn’t turn out as cute or professional looking as I had hoped, but I guess that simply leaves more room for practice!
Stay tuned for tomorrow, when I share what these classy gentlemen are going to be “served” with.